Realistic fiction is a favorite genre for many children and adults.These made-up stories sound like they COULD be real, even if they aren’t. Some people like to read them so they can think about somebody else’s problems for awhile, instead of their own. Some people like to read humorous realistic fiction because it makes them laugh, and that feels good. Why do you like to read realistic fiction?
When we read realistic fiction, sometimes we come to understand how others think and feel when confronted with problems they have to overcome in order to have a good life. There’s always a problem and a solution, sometimes MANY problems to be solved!
As you join the main character in her/his story, think about how s/he works toward solving the problem(s). What can you learn from this character for your own life?
In the comment section, please write a review of a realistic fiction book. This will be very helpful to other kids when they’re looking for a good book to read.
- Tell the title and author of your realistic fiction book.
- Tell the main idea of the story in just one sentence (without giving away the ending).
- Tell a little something about what kind of book it is (adventure, funny, touching, scary, dramatic, etc.).
- Tell one thing about the author’s style of writing.
- Add a question that gets kids wondering about the story.
- Give the story a star rating (hold down shift key while typing the 8 key).
***** Excellent story! I highly recommend it! Two thumbs up! I couldn’t put it down!
**** Very good story! I enjoyed it! One thumb up!
*** Good story. I was engaged in the story most of the time. Some parts were really interesting.
** OK story. Some parts were good, but there were lots of parts I found boring.
* Thumbs down. I did not like this story. I had a hard time getting through it. Others might like it, but it was not for me.
Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen, is a story about a boy who must survive on his own in the Canadian wilderness. It’s full of adventure in every chapter! The author makes you feel like you’re right there with Brian. Will he ever see his mother again? Rating *****