Hello Cottage Lane Families. Here are several Technology Activities that we would like you to take part in while you are working from home.
Typing Practice: Let’s learn to type faster while we are away from school! Please work for 15 minutes a day. Please note: This can be done on a computer or a Chromebook but will not be useful on a tablet unless you have a keyboard for it. Your teacher will keep track of your progress using the website. Here is where to start:
Go to www.typing.com and log in. Your USERNAME is cle- followed by your own username. For example, cle-jtanenbaum or cle-kguzas. Your password is socsd.
Create a Project: Choose a project from www.instructables.com and create it at home. There are lots of great project ideas. Take a photo of your project and send it to your teacher or bring it to school when we return. We can’t wait to see what you come up with! My email is [email protected]
Create a Story in Scratch: There are lots of ways to create stories with Scratch. Here are three examples from the Scratch Community:
- The Chinese Zodiak: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/3119579/
- Biography of Computer Scientist Grace Hopper: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/144016201/
- An Interactive Story: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/187214101/
To save your work, click File at the top of the screen and then click Save to Your Computer (or Save Now if you have a Scratch account).
When you return to your computer to, here is how to access your work:
- From a Chromebook, in the box that appears click Google Drive on the left hand side. Then click on your work. The first project you create is simply called “Scratch Project.” After that, each project is called “Scratch Project” followed by a number. Choose the one with the highest number to see your most recent work.
- If you are on a computer, click “Downloads” on the left hand side. Your work will be there. The first project you create is simply called “Scratch Project.” After that, your project is called “Scratch Project” followed by a number. Choose the one with the highest number to see your most recent work.
What kind of story will you make? Fiction or non-fiction? Can you make it interactive where the reader gets to choose what happens? Have fun! If you have a Scratch account, you can share your work with cottagelane! We can’t wait to see what you create. Bring it with you when you return to school or email it to me!