The ELA Department of South Orangetown Central School District requires students to read over summer break. Research clearly correlates the amount of reading a student does over the summer to his or her academic growth over the school year. Students entering grade 6,7 and 8 should read a minimum of two non-fiction and/or fiction books (approximately 500 pages or more) count as two books. This is a minimum requirement. We encourage students to read widely, and they should not limit themselves to two books.
- GoodReads Top 100 Middle School Reads
- NPR Ultimate Backseat Bookshelf 100 Must Reads for Kids
- Association for Library Services to Children Summer Reading Lists 2019
- NYS Summer Reading 2019( Don’t have a library card? Leave card and PIN blank to register.)
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge 2019
- Barnes N Noble Summer Reading 2018
- Ramapo Catskill Library System
- Students entering 9th grade should visit, the Tappan Zee High School link
To join in the fun of Summer Reading and Summer Learning, just find your local library website using the links below.
- Blauvelt Public Library
- Palisades Free Library
- Piermont Public Library
- Orangeburg Public Library
- Tappan Public Library