Tappan Zee High School

Working Papers

In New York State, anyone under the age of 18 must show an employment certificate (“working papers”) before they can begin work. The Application for Employment Certificate – AT-17 (working papers application) may be picked up from the Counseling Department.

To apply:

  1. Complete the Application for Employment Certificate. Students without a Social Security Number (SSN) are encouraged to apply for one. Although a minor may obtain working papers without a SSN, his/her employer will need one.
  2. A parent or guardian must sign Part I of the application. Working papers cannot be issued without this signature.
  3. A physican must sign the Physical Fitness Certification form.
  4. Bring your completed application and a form of identification (birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate, driver’s license or permit) with you to the Main Office.

For detailed information on working papers, visit the New York State Department of Labor website.

Back to Top