Tappan Zee High School and the parents of the students participating in activities, services, and programs funded by Title I, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (participating children), agree that this compact outlines how the parents, the entire school staff, and the students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement and the means by which the school and parents will build and develop a partnership that will help children achieve the State’s high standards. This school-parent compact is in effect during the 2020-21 school year.
Tappan Zee High School will:
- Provide high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment that enables the participating children to meet the State’s student academic achievement standards as follows:
- Quality, developmentally appropriate teaching in all classrooms.
- Curriculum maps that present an overview of course materials. This information will be posted on our website and available on paper if needed.
- Reading and math support in classrooms as well as pull-out programs.
- Learning Institutes after school, before school, and during the summer as needed.
- Consultant or direct help when needed by specialists such as: Learning Center teachers, reading specialists, guidance counselors, school psychologists, etc.
- Hold parent-teacher conferences. During these conferences, Title I services will also be discussed as they relate to the individual child’s achievement.
- Conferences in November or December
- Other conferences as needed or upon request
- Provide reports of student progress: Parents will have ongoing access to students’ grades, attendance, and teachers’ comments through the PowerSchool Parent Portal as linked through the district and school websites. Grades will be formally reported through the Portal at eight points during the school year. Written reports are also available upon request.
- Provide parents reasonable access to staff: All staff members have school email addresses and phone numbers. Teachers may be contacted via email, phone or face-to-face appointments, and Tappan Zee High School encourages parents to review regularly their child’s grades and attendance through the Portal.
We, as parents, will support our children’s learning in the following ways:
- Monitor attendance and academic performance
- Ensure that homework is completed
- Encourage our children to utilize appropriate academic support services
- Monitor our children’s recreational use of technology
- Participate as appropriate in decisions relating to our children’s education
- Promote positive use of our children’s extracurricular time
- Encourage our children to abide by the district’s Code of Conduct and all school rules
- Stay informed about our children’s education and opportunities at Tappan Zee High School
- Communicate with the school by promptly reading all notices from the school or the school district received via mail, website or through our children, as appropriate
- Serve, to the extent possible, on committees
- Communicate regularly with our children’s teachers
I, as a student, will share the responsibility to improve my academic achievement and achieve the State’s high standards. Specifically, I will:
- Do my homework every day and ask for help when needed
- Read at least 30 minutes every day outside of school time
- Give all notices and information received by me from my school to my parents or the adult who is responsible for my welfare
- Follow all school and district rules
- Utilize appropriate academic services
- Be an active participant and refrain from activities that may be barriers to the learning process