Tappan Zee High School

Health Office

Student Health Exams
As of July 1, 2018, New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time AND when entering pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. Please read the following requirements carefully:

  • The examination must be completed by a NY/NJ state licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner and on the approved NYSED Student Health Examination Form or one from your physician.
  • dental certificate which indicates your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is requested at the same time. The school nurse can provide you with a list of dentists and registered dental hygienists who offer dental services on a free or reduced cost basis upon request.
  • A copy of the NYSED Student Health Examination Form must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts school and when your child starts kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you.
  • If your child has an appointment for an exam during the school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify the School Nurse’s Office of that date.

Links to the NYSED Student Health Examination Form and dental certificate are posted on the For Parents page of our school district website, under Forms.

Communication between private and school health staff is important for safe and effective care at school. Your healthcare provider may not share health information with school health staff without your signed permission. Please talk to your provider about signing their consent for the school at the time of your child’s appointment for the examination.

Parents are encouraged to make copies of the completed forms for their own records before sending them to the School Nurse’s Office.

Meningococcal Vaccination
As of September 1, 2016, all public and private school students entering Grades 7, 8 and 12 in New York State must be fully vaccinated against meningococcal disease in order to attend school. The meningococcal vaccine (sometimes called “the meningitis vaccine”) protects against serious and sometimes deadly diseases such as meningitis and sepsis. Before September:

  • One dose of meningococcal vaccine is required for students who will be in 7th or 8th grade. If your child had the first dose before 7th grade, then another dose is not required until 12th grade.
  • Two doses will be required before 12th grade. Most students entering 12th grade got their first dose when they were younger and are now due for their second dose, or booster. This booster is needed because protection from the vaccine decreases over time.
    • A small number of teens who received two doses before their 16th birthday may need a third dose on or after their 16th birthday in order to enter 12th grade.
    • The only teens who will not need a second dose before 12th grade are those who got their first dose on or after their 16th birthday.

It’s best to check with your doctor to see whether or not your child needs the vaccine.

For further information, visit the New York Department of Health Meningococcal School Vaccine Requirement webpage.

Sports Physicals
If your child wishes to play in a school sport a current physical along with a signed Athletic Health History Evaluation and Parental Permission Form is required. We offer a date in June, and one in August for all athletes to have their physical completed at the high school by the school physician/nurse practitioner. We will also accept a current physical performed by your own physician along with a signed Athletic Health History Evaluation and Parental Permission Form completed by yourself before the sport tryout date. If you have any questions; please call the Nurse’s Office at (845) 680-1647.

Emergency Contacts
Emergency contact forms should be filled out every year. It is important to keep this information current in order to reach you quickly in an emergency. If telephone numbers for your employment, cell or residence change, make sure that you let the school nurse know. It is important to have an alternate telephone number of a family member or neighbor that is at home to contact if you cannot be reached in an emergency.

Over-the-Counter Medication
With most parents working, children are expected to stay in school with headaches and other minor complaints. Frequently, students need to take an over-the-counter medication (i.e. Tylenol, Motrin, etc.) in school. By New York State Department of Education Law, the only way the school nurse can administer any medication (prescription or over-the-counter) to a student in school is if:

  • The school nurse has a physician’s signature and parent’s written permission.
  • Medication is sent to school in original container with child’s name, name of medication, time to be given and doctor’s name. This includes all over-the-counter as well as prescription medication, inhalers, etc. This also includes Epi-pens for students with serious allergies. A physician’s note and the Epi-pen are required.

No exceptions can be made to this New York State Department of Education law.


School Nurse

Ms. Patricia Shalvey, RN
(845) 680-1647

Back to Top