Back to School 2019-20
Meet the Teacher dates and the September SOCES PTA meeting are posted on the WOS Google calendar.
Tuesday, August 20: Kindergarten Class Assignments Mailed
Thursday, August 22: WOS Kindergarten Bus Orientation
Times assigned according to child’s last name:
- 9:00-9:30am: A-H
- 9:45-10:15am: I-Q
- 10:30-11:00am: R-Z
Thursday, August 22: Grades 1 & 2 Class Assignments Mailed
Wednesday, August 28: Teacher Meet & Greet and Ice Cream Social
Incoming kindergarten students and their parent(s)/guardian(s) are invited to meet their teachers and classmates at William O. Schaefer Elementary School! Times are assigned by teacher:
- 10:00AM: Coughlin, Sheehy, Gallagher & New Hire
- 11:00AM: Rega/Ferzola, Grillo & Rispoli
- 12:00PM: Widmayer/Ehardt, Kolesar & Savarese
In addition, Mrs. Durcan’s Multi-Grade Class will have its Meet & Greet/Ice Cream Social at 1:00PM.
Wednesday, September 4: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Back to School Information
FREE & REDUCED PRICE SCHOOL MEALS
Go to the Food Service page for 2019-20 free and reduced price meal applications.
School Nurse: Riva Fisher, RN
Tel: (845) 680-1304
Student Health Exam Requirements
New York State requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time AND when entering pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. Please read the following requirements carefully:
- The examination must be completed by a NY/NJ state licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner and on the approved NYSED Student Health Examination Form or one from your physician.
- A dental certificate which indicates your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is requested at the same time. The school nurse can provide you with a list of dentists and registered dental hygienists who offer dental services on a free or reduced cost basis upon request.
- A copy of the NYSED Student Health Examination Form must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts school and when your child starts kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you.
- If your child has an appointment for an exam during the school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify the School Nurse’s Office of that date.
Communication between private and school health staff is important for safe and effective care at school. Your healthcare provider may not share health information with school health staff without your signed permission. Please talk to your provider about signing their consent for the school at the time of your child’s appointment for the examination.
Head Lice Information
Head lice are a troublesome, contagious problem that is common in schools. While it is typical for at least a few cases of head lice to appear at the start of school, head lice cases can be found year-round.
One of the most frustrating things about head lice is that it can spread easily and quickly through head-to-head or hand-to head contact with an infested person. This happens through direct contact or through sharing of personal items, such as hats, brushes, any head gear such as batting/riding helmets, etc. Head lice may be contracted any place where children interact. Schools, camps and sleepovers may be places to transmit lice, since children are playing so closely together.
To assist all students and their families when there is an incident of head lice, our District has adopted a protocol to manage this problem. Under this protocol, a child who is found to have head lice will be sent home for treatment. Once the child has been treated, he/she may return to school.
The purpose of this protocol is to help prevent the spread of head lice. Even one louse can transmit head lice from one child to another. Therefore, it is extremely important that parents are vigilant in treating children with head lice and removing the eggs (called nits). We want to contain the problem before it becomes widespread.
So, we ask you to:
- GET TOUGH – treat the head
- GET PICKY – remove head lice and nits
- BE ON GUARD – every week, take a peek
Please feel free to call the school nurse for assistance.