Your Role & Our Expectations
At Tappan Zee High School we want to feel respected, inspired, supported and empowered (RISE). In order to feel:
Respected, we will:
- Build relationships
- Learn names
- Say hello to one another
- Use positive language
- Create a comfortable, calm environment
Inspired, we will:
- Be open to and optimistic toward new ideas
- Be involved in the school community
- Participate / attend school activities
- Demonstrate gratitude, appreciation and kindness
- Be an inspiration to ourselves and others
Supported, we will:
- Take responsibility for our environment
- Provide a welcoming and safe environment for all
- Value each other’s voices and difference of opinion
Empowered, we will:
- Lead by example (be a leader)
- Listen with an open mind
- Encourage academic risks and encourage others
The TZHS team strives to create a safe environment that supports student achievement both in and out of the classroom. We will make every effort to help you build relationships and develop strong habits to achieve your goals. In school, at school related events, and in the community, we will support you as you will:
- Work to the best of your ability by being on time to all classes, paying attention, and completing all work by clearly established deadlines.
- Treat others respectfully at all times, through both your actions and the way in which you speak to and about others in all forms including social media.
- Use of profanity, language that is vulgar or offensive to others, or words that are derogatory or make fun of others are unacceptable at TZHS.
- Be truthful at all times, and encourage your friends to be truthful as well.
- Accept responsibility for your actions at all times.
- Respect school property, i.e. lockers, textbooks, Chromebooks, uniforms, etc.
- Ensure that fellow students feel safe and comfortable at TZHS, and actively work to help those who feel uncomfortable or threatened in any way (physically, emotionally, etc.) by confiding in an adult who can intervene appropriately.
- Inform an adult in school if an incident begins outside of school and you believe it may continue in school.
- Use technology responsibly and for academic pursuits; you may record, videotape, or take pictures only when given specific permission to do so.
- Understand and follow all the rules set forth in this handbook, as well as those established by your teachers.