Opening Day 2017-18
*Please check this page regularly. Additional back-to-school information will be posted throughout the summer.*
Monday, August 14: Sports Physicals
Athletes who missed the June Sports Physical Night have one more opportunity to receive a sports physical through the district on Monday, August 14, 9am-11am in the College Room at Tappan Zee High School.
Information regarding sports physicals and fall sports registration (Grades 7-12), click here to view the Athletics web page.
Monday, August 28: Locker Day
All incoming sixth-graders and their parents are cordially invited to come set up their lockers, meet the school counselors and say hello to Principal Dr. Karen Tesik and Assistant Principal Dr. Chad Corey.
When you receive your schedule in mid-August, please review it carefully. The first letter of the student’s last name will determine what time his/her session begins. Please arrive on time and park in the Erie Street parking lot.
Last name beginning with:
- A through H: 9:00-9:30am session
- I through P: 9:45-10:15am session
- Q through Z: 10:30-11:00am session
Students are encouraged to bring their school-issued locks and practice using it. Locks may also be purchased for $5.00 by checks payable to SOCSD only. The inside of lockers may be decorated/organized at this time.
SOMS PTA representatives will be on-site selling locker organizers, accepting orders for Spirit Clothing and registering new members. View the Locker Day flyer in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
Tuesday, August 29: RegisterMyAthlete.com closes at 5pm for fall modified sports registration
Click here to view the Athletics web page for more information.
Tuesday, September 5: First day of school
Back to School Information
Technology Power Tools Letter
Health Education Letter
Progress Reports & Report Card Dates
Parent Involvement Policy
Program of Studies Handbook
Continuum of Services Handbook
Free & Reduced Price Meal Applications
Click here to go to the Food Service page for 2017-18 free and reduced price meal applications.
Immunization Requirement for Incoming Students in Grade 7
As of September 1, 2016, all public and private school students entering grades 7 and 12 in New York State must be fully vaccinated against meningococcal disease in order to attend school. The meningococcal vaccine, which is administered as a shot, protects against serious and sometimes deadly diseases, such as meningitis and sepsis.
Before school starts in September:
- One dose of meningococcal vaccine is required before 7th grade. If your child had the first dose as a sixth-grader, then another dose is not required until 12th grade.
- A total of two doses will be required before 12th grade. Most students entering 12th grade got their first dose when they were younger and are now due for their second dose, or booster. This booster is needed because protection from the vaccine decreases over time.
- The only teens who will not need a second dose before 12th grade are those who got their first dose on or after their 16th birthday.
- A small number of students who received two doses before their 16th birthday may need a third dose on or after their 16th birthday in order to enter 12th grade.
It’s best to check with your doctor to see whether or not your child needs the vaccine. Students who are not up-to-date will not be allowed to attend school until they are vaccinated.