Code of Conduct
The South Orangetown Middle School Community realizes the importance of and is committed to an environment where all staff, student, parents, and numbers of the community are involved in creating a safe school environment which is crucial if children are to achieve their social, emotional, and academic potential. The philosophy expects, promotes, and reinforces student behavior that is appropriate and positive. Infractions will be treated promptly, effectively, fairly, and with due process.
Student Code of Ethics and Responsibilities
- To attend school regularly, to participate in class, and to report promptly to class with all essential materials.
- To be familiar with and abide by all District policies, rules and regulations pertaining to student conduct
- To contribute to the maintenance of an environment that is conducive to learning.
- To treat student and staff in a respectful and non-discriminatory fashion.
- To bring concerns about school district policies or actions to the appropriate member of the school district, staff or administration.
- To report all acts or threats of violence, including threats of suicide, by notifying a faculty member or the building principal, or by calling the school.
- I will strive to be the best I possibly can be by working as hard as I can.
- I will promote understanding, harmony, and friendship by being kind, considerate, and courteous.
- I will never endanger anyone’s health or safety.
- I will respect the property or others, and I will return anything that belongs to another person.
- I will complete all assignments given to me by my teachers to the best ofmy ability.
- I will report to class promptly, using the shortest route, and I will not run in the hallways.
- I will follow classroom rules and regulations provided by teachers, and I will not disrupt, distract, or interfere with teaching and learning.
- I will bring a signed note from my parent/guardian when I return to school following an absence.
- I will be responsible for the school materials loaned to me; I will keep them in good condition; and I will assume responsibility for the building by not damaging or defacing furniture, lockers or walls.
- I will maintain a clean environment by helping wherever needed, including the classroom, the cafeteria, and the hallways.