The New York State English Regents which is taken in 11th grade is composed of three tasks: Reading Comprehension (Task 1), Argument Essay (Task 2), and Text-Analysis Response (Task 3). The following will help you with the argument essay.
Sample Argument Essay Directions on the NYS Regents:
Directions: Closely read each of the four texts provided on pages ___ through ___ and write a source-based argument on the topic below. You may use the margins to take notes as you read and scrap paper to plan your response. Write your argument beginning on page 1 of your essay booklet.
Your Task: Carefully read each of the four texts provided. Then, using evidence from at least three of the texts, write a well-developed argument regarding whether or not xxxxxxxxx. Clearly establish your claim, distinguish your claim from alternate or opposing claims, and use specific, relevant, and sufficient evidence from at least three of the texts to develop your argument. Do not simply summarize each text.
Be sure to:
• Establish your claim
• Distinguish your claim from alternate or opposing claims
• Use specific, relevant, and sufficient evidence from at least three of the texts to develop your argument
• Identify each source that you reference by text number and line number(s) or graphic (for example: Text 1, line 4 or Text 2, graphic)
• Organize your ideas in a cohesive and coherent manner
• Maintain a formal style of writing
• Follow the conventions of standard written English
Argument Essay Outline TZ 10H outline to be used when writing an argument essay
Common Core argument essay on digital media articles to read and annotate for class assignment