Mrs. McBride was all ready to come to school yesterday. She wanted to wear these mismatched socks to spread awareness for WDSD. Due to the snow day, this did not happen. March 21st is a very special day for her. If you want to help her spread awareness and take the pledge, you can find out more here.
Last week we played the logic game, Pico Fermi, Bagel. This week we will continue breaking the code using four digits or colors. The game, Mastermind, uses four colors. Here is how to play:
You don’t have the board game? No worries…play online here – MASTERMIND!
Today we will look at the logic that underlies the game “Pico, Fermi, Bagel”.
How to Play:
The the game begins with one person secretly choosing a number with no repeated digits. We will start with a three digit number. Then others attempt to guess the number, and the one who chose the number responds to each guess as follows:
- If the guess has no numbers correct, they respond: “Bagel.”
- For each digit when the guess is correct but in the wrong place, respond: “Pico.”
- For each digit when the guess is correct and in the correct place, respond: “Fermi.”
- When all three digits are correct and in the correct place, respond: “CREAM CHEESE.”
We will play a few rounds of the game together, and then try to solve a couple problems related to the game.
Origami folding is mathematical and scientific. You can watch Robert Lang’s video here. He is a pioneer of using math and engineering principles to fold mind-blowingly intricate designs that are beautiful and, sometimes, very useful.
Let’s start practicing some origamis for Valentine’s Day. Watch this how to video, Origami Heart.
Tonight is the opening ceremony for the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea. There are so many opportunities to learn about winter sporting events, countries around the world and athletes. Here are a few links:
- Mrs. Ramirez friend, Stacy Spletzer, is working with athletes for WADA. Watch her videos and send her questions here, Greetings from the Winter Olympics.
- Mrs. Wagner’s Winter Olympics Online Scavenger Hunt. You can find fun facts, create Olympic rings and/or learn the science behind sports.
- The official 2018 Winter Olympics website – PyeongChang 2018 will host the XXIII Olympic Winter Games. Find voting results and all the latest news as South Korea prepares for the Games.
This weekend, we challenge you to design and create your own catapult system. Your catapult needs to launch a cotton ball as far as possible. There are no rules…there are no limits to your creativity….bring your design into class on Monday, and we will have a friendly competition to see which catapult can launch the furthest.
Think about what you experienced today with Mrs. McBride. Think about what worked well and didn’t. Apply S.C.A.M.P.E.R.
Substitute, Combine, Adapt, Modify, Put to other uses, Eliminate, Rearrange
Good luck, engineers!